Friday, December 24, 2010

Boxes, paper, and bubble wrap...oh my!

Let's flash back a few weeks with this very overdue post:

The official word has been given...on December 17 Michael and I must be in Florida! December 10 will be Michael's last day of work in Virginia! Let the packing frenzy begin! With only 10 days notice to get packed up and moved, we have lots to do. Finding boxes wasn't too hard. People are always trying to rid themselves of those after a move. The tricky part was going to be figuring out how to physically pack the house up while my dear husband was at work. Here's our tentative schedule:

**Thurs, Dec 2: received official word. we're moving!
**Mon, Dec 6 - Fri, Dec 10: Michael's last week of work.
**Fri, Dec 10: Goodbye Game Night to say good bye to our friends and family.
**Sat, Dec 11: Loading up the big truck with all our packed belongings.
**Sun, Dec 12: Michael drives all our belongings away pulling along his car on a trailer.
**Mon, Dec 13 - Tues, Dec 14: Spend the last few days in Virginia at a friends house.
**Tues, Dec 14: Michael flies back to Virginia, hops in my car, and we hit the road.

WHEW!!!

So how'd it go you ask??? My dear Virginia friends came by during my packing week to help out as long as they could. My bestie Marquet came over literally every single day with her 1 year old son. We set him loose amidst the boxes and packing paper, which he and the animals seemed to enjoy. She climbed counters, pulled pictures down from the wall, and decorations from high shelves. In short...she packed the majority of my house! With boxes full, lining the walls, I began to feel more and more prepared for the move. There was no way we could have all work and no play! So each day we sat down and crafted a bit in the middle of all the chaos. It was a bunch of work but also lots of fun.

Once packing ended, the truck-loading day came and that was super exhausting. I obviously didn't move anything. But, I was...in my husbands words... in charge of the sending boxes down in an orderly fashion. So I orchestrated what should go. I color coded boxes according to room so I knew what was what. In less than 3 hours our condo was empty! We then gathered at Japanese Steakhouse for some good ole hibachi-style cooking. My dear husband and I spent the next day cleaning the condo until it was spotless! Then, we headed to our friends home for dinner, a nap, and for my husband.... a long road trip! He hit the road at 3 a.m. with our friend Tim and drove the 941 miles non-stop from Alexandria to Pensacola. They spent the night in PCola at our dear friends, the Poynters and hopped on 6 a.m. flights back to Virginia.

I picked up my exhausted husband from the airport and in a short few hours, we were on the road to PCola...for good. The drive was long. The weather was brutally cold. 20 degrees! All the potty stops made the trip much longer than we'd hoped. But eventually we made it, safe and sound to our new home in Florida. We showed up around 5 p.m. Within minutes, the Poynters had arranged for their church friends to meet us at our house and unload our truck. Within less than an hour, the truck was empty!

And we've been calling this place home every since...

No comments: