Friday, June 18, 2010

I'm sitting on my couch under a cozy plush blue blanket. The house is filled with the crackling sound of hot grease on the stove. French toast is in the works! High-pitch voices are giggling to my right. My little sisters find Styrofoam plates so entertaining. A lady of about 5'9" stature is near breaking a sweat in the kitchen area. She's tirelessly labored around these quarters since her arrival late Tuesday night. Though she's well above 40, her clear smooth caramel skin, green eyes, and go-go-go attitude speak of such youthful energy. Her nose resembles mine a bit, though mine is much wider. Her hair, curly like mine, but so much more fine. Her eyes though similar in shape, much lighter than mine. She's my mom.

She's in town visiting for 8-days to spend time with her daughter and son-in-law. She brought my two little sisters, Paige and Naomi, ages 4 and 3, for some much desired bonding time with big sister Jessica. Since she's arrived, she's dedicated every second to ensuring her girls are taken care of. It's actually quite strange. I mean how am I supposed to let her go back home after all of this special treatment!?!?! We've compiled quite the agenda of things to see and places to go. Despite our lengthy list of DC attractions, nothing is nearly as appealing as curling up on the couch, tickling each other's toes, watching Finding Nemo, Cars, and The Incredibles until we all pass out from exhaustion. They are quite the blessing and my biggest prayer is that I can serve as a light in their lives to motivate them to live their lives loving God as they grow older. Their smiles warm my heart in a way I didn't realize was possible. Their laughter makes me smile, even when I missed the joke. Observing their peaceful slumber brings to me my knees thanking God for my big sister role.

I'm so grateful. So very grateful. I look forward to our 3 p.m. pedicures and family photos this weekend. I look forward to taking them to the IMAX for the first time next week, and reading them tonight's bedtime story.

1 comment:

Abby the Tiny Traveler said...

How fun! I pray your 8 days with your mom and sisters is a memorable event for them and years from now you all can look back on Summer 2010 with a sense of fondness and nostalgia!