Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tardy Christmas Abduction Story

Yes, this story comes about 30 days late. But, I’m sure you all are wondering how Christmas went with the grandparents. Traditionally, holiday dinners are held at Grandma and Grandpa’s! That’s the way its always been, and always would be (so I thought as a child.) As I got older, I realized that sooner or later, the children and grandchildren would get married and begin to sprout roots in different areas. What I didn’t realize is how this process happens FASTER than you realize. As a newlywed, I was thrilled to learn that my grandparents, after a good 30 minute guilt trip, were willing to push tradition aside, and have Christmas dinner in the DC area with their eldest (and most loved, I’m sure) grandchild…Me.

As Christmas approached I was certain the nervousness would settle in. I didn’t realize just how anxious I’d be! The weeks leading up to my grandparents arrival, I’d made an entire list of all the things I “needed” to be ready for Grandma. This included: a spare blanket, a few more decorative pillows, lots of dust rags, liner for the guest RR shower curtain, a top of the line mixing bowl and roasting pan, as well as a camera to capture all the greatness. With the list prepared, I felt all ready for my beloved granfolk.

A few days before their incoming flight, our area was hit with the largest blizzard this area has seen since 1922. We were buried in snow. It was definitely a winter wonderland, realized. But, it didn’t make for running errands. The city shut down for awhile. Church was even cancelled, and that NEVER happens. Grandma and I were so nervous that their flights were going to be cancelled. Fortunately, by the 22nd, flights were coming in from most areas as scheduled. Their flight came in slightly late, but with the holiday and weather traffic, it took my grandparents literally ALL day to board, fly, and take a $90 taxi ride to get to our home. They left their home in Houston around 6 a.m. and arrived to my home around 8 p.m. (It’s only a 3 hr flight folks with a 1 hr time difference. Come on!) Very slow indeed, but at least they arrived, safely….without luggage. Yup, that’s right. After all that traveling, their luggage didn’t make it. *Sigh* No worries, it was the Christmas holidays; nothing could get our spirits down!

My grandparents were wiped out and slept well. The 12 hours I spent dusting and cleaning every centimeter of my house paid off, because Grandma’s first words were: “You guys sure have a really nice place!” SCORE! (It makes me very happy to know that my Grandma is pleased with my homemaking skills, because her standards are very high, let me tell you!) We started cooking the very next day. The tree was lined with presents, my Grandpa spent the day chatting it up with my husband. We baked cookies on Christmas Eve, and enjoyed them over hot chocolate while opening a few gifts. It was such a joyous visit. I was so terribly sad to see them go! We took lots of photos because with such a great Christmas with the elders, you just never know which Christmas holiday together will be your last. Sadly though, the camera was abducted from my job a few weeks later. So, I’ll have these memories etched in my memory for years and years to come. Even sweeter.

Next Christmas, who knows…maybe we’ll break tradition again….hmmm, maybe this is the beginning of something new.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

SOMEONE STOLE YOUR CAMERA?!?!?! Thats AWFUL!!!