Friday, December 11, 2009

I'm a social creature...

If you've known me for 5 minutes, you know that I'm a social creature. I enjoy chatting for hours on end. I love inviting people to our home to hang out and have fun! Since Michael and I are so blessed with this condo in a great safe neighborhood near my job, I feel that it's my duty to share it with everyone. I try to host get together's at my house often. Anytime someone's not sure where to have a meeting, I try to volunteer my space. It's our blessing, but we should definitely share it. In fact, in my small women's Bible study group we are reading a great book by Max Lucado. It's called "It's Not About Me." It has truly shed light on my purpose in life and it reaffirms my desire to share my blessings with others. One of the chapters we reviewed last night was entitled: "My Success Is About Him." It's based on the idea that so often "the man (or woman) who begged for help in medical school ten years ago is too busy to worship today," (Lucado 135). It made me reflect on the many blessings Michael and I have received and how we utilize those blessings (or "successes") to glorify God. Inviting others into our home is one way that I try to do this.

Well, this Saturday we have orchestrated a Game Night. I absolutely LOVE to play board games. In fact, I collect different editions of Monopoly. With this night of socializing and fun, I hope to bring together folks from different areas of my life in hopes that they can enjoy one another as I have enjoyed them. A little over zealously, I put together the invite list....and 35 folks later, I realized I live in a condo....not a mansion! Not all guests invited can attend of course, however we have a solid list of...hmm...oh geez, I haven't tallied a total number yet. Let's see, there's Marian, Kim, Kenny, Carrie +1, Tim, Heather, Trineka + 1, Hang, Deborah +1, Lindsay +1, Sarah, Danielle, Nikki, Elaine, Marquet, Alex, Michael and I. So basically, I need to clear out the living room of furniture and we can sit in rows wall to wall and THEN we'll all fit. LOL. I'm so excited to host but BOY OH BOY how are we all going to fit?!?!?!?!?!?

Okay... I must think outside the box! Clearly 20 + people cannot play ONE game. So I've selected 4 of my favorite games (Fact or Crap; Monopoly; Cranium; Battle of the Sexes) and I'm going to setup different games in different rooms. 1 game in the sunroom, 1 in the dining room, and 2 in the living room. Sounds like a great plan! I hope it all works out the way I envision it. I'm very very very excited to see it all come together. I promise to report back with details and photos!

PS: The Max Lucado books is an easy read and so incredibly enlightening. It wasn't expensive either. Seriously, it's like $5 from Amazon. Here's a link if you want more info on getting it: BOOK.


2 comments:

Sparkle Bell said...

Your party sounds like fun!

Abby the Tiny Traveler said...

I wish I could come! Make sure you make a blog post about it afterwards with lots of photos!!!